Your Sunday summary of the news last week.
With the General Election fast approaching, it’s hard to take a break from Brexit and politics news stories. So, while we do still cover the politics news, we also cover other important issues throughout the world. We keep it to a minimum by providing five key news points to prevent overwhelming our readers with complex reads.
- The two people who were killed in the London Bridge terror attack last Friday. Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones both died as a result of being stabbed in the chest by Usman Khan, who had been in prison since 2012 for ‘public protection’. He had previously been part of a group who had planned to bomb London’s Stock Exchange and was out on license and was shot dead by police at the scene. The two victims
- Less than a week before the General Election, Jeremy Corbyn reveals ‘damaging’ Brexit report. He’s reportedly exposed a document containing a leaked report of Northern Ireland and the consequences that would happen if the Conservative Party went ahead with their ‘misleading’ Brexit deal. The Prime Minister and Jeremy Corbyn will go head to head in a TV debate tonight.
- Last Monday, near Debden Park High School in Loughton, Essex, 12 year-old Harley Watson was killed by a hit and run driver. 51 year-old Terence Glover, also from Loughton, has been charged of murdering Harley Watson, as well as 10 other accounts of attempted murder and dangerous driving. He will appear at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday.
- A British woman who’s heart stopped beating for six hours lives to tell the tale. Audrey Schoeman developed hypothermia while hiking in the Spanish Pyrenees with her husband and got caught in a snowstorm. She lost consciousness, suffering from a cardiac arrest before her heart stopped working for six hours. Schoeman has made a almost a full recovery and hopes to be hiking again by the spring.
- Earthquake shakes the South West. Late on Thursday evening, a 3.2 magnitude earthquake hit Somerset with residents reporting that their houses were rattling from the tremor. The earthquake struck the area of Bridgwater, north-east of Taunton, at 10.49pm on Thursday, according to the British Geological Survey (BGS).
Image of the week
A forensic officer works near to where a man was shot dead by the police during a terror attack on London Bridge last week. One man and one woman died from stab wounds in the attack that started at a Fishmonder’s Hall during a conference held about rehabilitating offenders.