Your weekly summary of news from the previous week.
It’s been a busy one! With the election campaigns taking over the media and then the General Election finally taking place, there’s been a lot to talk about and a lot to take in. We’ve summarised the result of that election, as well as other means that were happening in the world over the last seven days.
- The General Election result has seen the Tories win over Labour and other political parties by a landslide. As Prime Minister Boris Johnson remains at No. 10 Downing Street, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said he will not be leading the party into the next election. Being described as the ‘grimmest campaign ever’, the first December election since 1923 has come to an end and the PM will now follow through with Brexit.
- Earlier this week a volcano on the White Island of New Zealand erupted while a group of people were on a tour there. 47 people were on the Island, also known by it’s Maori named of Whakaari, when it erupted last Monday. Eight people were missing on the Island and presumed dead, another eight have since been confirmed dead while around 20 remain in intensive care with severe burns. Rescue workers have been searching the waters surrounding the island for two bodies which have not yet been accounted for.
- TV presenter and popular scientist, David Bellamy has died age 86. The Conservation Foundation, of which Bellamy was president and co-founder, have confirmed his death on Wednesday. London-born and County Durham resident, Bellamy was a household name among television personality, scientist and conservationist.
- Ed Sheeran named Artist of the Decade. After 79 weeks at No 1, the Official Charts Company have awarded the singer-songwriter the title of Artist of the Decade. The British artist had the most amount of No 1’s across the albums and singles charts throughout the 2010 with 12. His albums have spent 41 weeks at the top overall, with this singles at 38, combining to make a total of 79 weeks which is more than any other artist.
- Caroline Flack was arrested on Friday on assault after a fight with her boyfriend. The 40 year old reality TV presenter was taken into custody by police officers from her home in London where she lives with tennis player, Lewis Burton. She was charged with assault by beating after Burton was allegedly treated in hospital for his injuries.
Image of the week
A photograph of polar bears residing outside the village of Rykraypiy in the North of Russia. More than 50 polar bears have congregated on the edge of the the village as coastal ice weakens and makes it difficult to roam.