The perfect way to start and end a weekend is always with a sausage roll.
And this sausage roll has a twist! It’s made from lamb and harissa and will brighten up the gloomiest of weekends. This sausage roll recipe from Delicious Magazine is super easy to make (by yourself, or with the help of little ones), and will please the entire family. Make it as a contribution to a party spread or simply for your own delight. Go on, give this alternative, indulgent sausage roll a go.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tbs harissa paste
- 11/4 cups (80g) panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 egg yolks
- Tomato relish, to serve
For the rough puff pastry
- 200g unsalted butter, cut into 1cm pieces, chilled
- 11/3 cups (200g) plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- For the rough puff pastry, knead 150g butter and 60g our in a bowl until a dough forms. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper into a 2mm-thick rectangle. Transfer to a baking tray, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Combine the remaining 50g butter and 140g flour in a bowl and knead to form a dough. Add vinegar, 1/4 cup (60ml) water and a pinch of salt and knead to combine.
- Be careful not to overwork dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Place second dough piece on a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a 2mm-thick rectangle the same size as the rst rectangle. Place the first piece of dough on top of the second.
- Fold one short end of pastry two-thirds of the way down the length. Fold the other end on top to enclose and form three layers. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and place on a lightly floured surface with the layered seams facing you. Repeat rolling, folding and chilling method once more.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add coriander and 21/2 tsp fennel seeds, and cook for a further 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the harissa and cook for 1-2 minutes. Spread onion mixture over a baking tray to cool.
- Combine breadcrumbs and milk in a bowl and stand for 10 minutes or until absorbed. Add the lamb and onion mixture and season generously. Cover and chill until required.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a large baking tray and line with baking paper. Place egg yolks and 1 tbs water in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place pastry on a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 28cm x 40cm rectangle.
- Halve pastry lengthways. Divide filling lengthways down the centre of each dough half. Brush edges with yolk mixture and roll to enclose, overlapping the seam slightly.
- Halve each roll crossways and place, seam-side down, on the prepared tray. Score the top of the rolls, brush with remaining yolk mixture and sprinkle with 1 tsp sea salt and remaining 1/2 tsp fennel.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until pastry is golden and the filling is cooked through. Slice sausage rolls and serve with relish.