Try this cheesy baked leek and ham dish for your weekend feasting.
When we’re in between seasons and not sure what kind of food we’re craving (torn between wanting a cosy casserole and a summer salad), this is the perfect mid-season dish. Delicious Magazine’s Cheesy Baked Leeks with Ham is a fantastic dish for the entire family to enjoy. If you’re cooking for one, save it for lunch during the week – that’s if you’re not tempted to simply demolish the whole thing in one go! The best in between-season dish if we ever did see one. Go try it this weekend!
- 3 leeks (around 500g)
- 180g packet of sliced, cooked ham
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 150ml dry white wine
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus a little extra to serve
- 75g grated cheddar
- 100g brie, sliced
- Heat the oven to 200°C /180°fan/gas 6. Cut the leeks into 8cm lengths, then wrap each in a piece of ham, cutting to fit and using up all the offcuts. Arrange in the base of a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the wine and milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the wholegrain mustard, thyme leaves and cheddar until melted, then pour over the leeks. Top with the brie, then bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. Scatter with more thyme and serve with crusty bread.