The highly anticipated biographical drama, House of Gucci directed by Ridley Scott, is FINALLY landing in UK cinemas on November 26th– otherwise known as Black Friday. Coincidence? We THINK NOT!
House of Gucci, based on the 2001 book, debuts in perfect timing for all to fall in love with the iconic fashion brand. Even better, get a hold of their latest fragrance during our Black Friday event. Thanks Ridley!
Destiny and joking aside, we cannot wait to revel in this film. Inspired by the shocking true story of the family empire, House of Gucci is set to be a real blockbuster. Read on for a synopsis of the tumultuous Gucci family legacy and find the perfect head-turning Gucci fragrances (in a good way, of course)…
Adam Driver was chosen to portray Maurizio Gucci, who was chairman of the namesake fashion house until his death. Starring next to him is Lady Gaga, as Patrizia Reggiani, his wife. From the trailer, it looks like the pair are absolutely killing it (quite literally). Indeed, the movie revolves around the couple’s life and the events that led to Maurizio’s murder in 1995. Unless you were in Italy during those years, you might have not heard of the so-called “Black Widow”. That was the nickname given to Patrizia Reggiani after being convicted for the murder of her husband. He was killed by a hitman hired by her, whom he had divorced in 1991. These events caused such a scandal in 90s Italy, that we are not surprised that someone like Ridley Scott would do a film about it.
However, before this crime even took place, the Gucci family had already been a source of gossip. During the years, there had been a legal war for the ownership of the family business between the different heirs. Maurizio was one of the many grandchildren of Gucci’s founder. Following the legal proceedings, he had won a majority stake and became the brand director. Unfortunately, he hadn’t inherited the same business acumen as his grandfather. He recklessly spent the company’s money and by 1993, he sold all his shares to an investment group.
By then, he had divorced Patrizia and was living with his new partner, Paola Franchi. His ex-wife was notoriously bitter following the divorce for various reasons. One was that she didn’t get a good enough pay out. This, and her fear that her daughters wouldn’t inherit their father’s money once Maurizio re-married, led her to hire a hitman… and the rest is history.
The movie was filmed in various parts of Italy from March to May 2021. The costumes and jewellery used in the film are something out of this world, replicating dutifully the fashion trends of those years. So, while we await to be transported into Gucci’s luxurious and glamourous life on the big screen, we bring you some of our favourite Gucci fragrances (minus the drama).
*prices may vary
- Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia, the latest arrival in the family. Miley Cyrus is the face of this new fragrance; she is bold and glamourous perfectly representing the brand’s identity. The scent is composed by white gardenia notes blended with jasmine grandiflorum. This delicious potion of joy is introduced by a cheerful pear blossom accord while a touch of brown sugar accord adds a delicate sweetness to its scent trail.
- Gucci Bloom Perfume has notes of natural tuberose and jasmine which leave a floral scent on the skin. They are accompanied by rangoon creeper, or honeysuckle, a plant that changes colour when it blooms and infuses a powdery, floral edge.
- Gucci Rush is an exotic, oriental blend of jasmine and rose. Its top notes are composed by freesia, peach and gardenia which mingle harmoniously with vanilla and patchouli. Get the thrill with the red cassette tape bottle that was designed in the 1980’s but is unusually modern.
*prices may vary.
- Gucci Guilty for Men, hedonistic and decadent, the scent opens with the piquant spice of pink pepper mixed with invigorating Italian lemon. At the heart there is an untraditional orange blossom absolute, a scent traditionally used in female fragrances and known throughout history as a symbol of romance and innocence.
- Gucci Guilty Black is a men’s aftershave that’ll bring out his scandalous side. Its top notes are green coriander and lavender, and they balance harmoniously with patchouli and cedar at its base.
- Gucci Mémoire is a fragrance for both him and her. This scent has taken gender out of the equation and made this fragrance universal for all, whoever, whenever, wherever. Gucci Mémoire top notes are Roman chamomile structured with Indian coral jasmine petals for sensitivity, musk for depth, luminous sandalwood, cedarwood, and a tempting vanilla note.