What are weekends for? Trying new recipes, obviously.
From now on, here at etc., we’re going to bring you a new recipe to try every Friday so that you can get prepared to cook it over the weekend. This week we bring to you the most delicious pan-fried Cajun salmon from Love Food, the perfect summer dish, even if the weather isn’t on summer’s side.
For the salmon and quinoa
- 2 x 200g (7oz) salmon fillets (preferably wild, line-caught)
- 200 g quinoa
- 500 ml water
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 150 g sweetcorn, sliced off the cob (or frozen kernels)
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g watercress, roughly chopped, to serve
For the Cajun marinade
- 2 tsp Cajun spice blend
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed (or wholemeal breadcrumbs will work)
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the salmon fillets and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- While the salmon is marinating, soak the quinoa in a bowl of water for the same amount of time.
- Add the quinoa to a dry saucepan over a medium heat and toast the grains for a few minutes.
- Boil the 500ml (17.5floz) water then add it to the pan of quinoa along with the paprika, sweetcorn and some salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes then plate up with the watercress.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium–low heat and place the marinated salmon fillets in the pan, skin side down. Press them gently for the first 30 seconds.
- Cook for about 6 minutes until the top side begins to turn opaque, then flip the fillets over and cook on the other side for a further 3–4 minutes until cooked through.
- Place the salmon on top of the quinoa and watercress and enjoy.
Feature image: Love Food